Friday, September 18, 2009

Trouble in Paradise

For Craig's birthday this year our kids got together and gave him a gift certificate from "Spa Finder". That was back in May and he had not used it yet. Well Ashley got on the internet and found a spa in Honolulu so we made an appointment for him for today. While he was in getting a massage, Ashley and I went shopping at the Ross that was there close by. It was quite an interesting experience in the middle of downtown Honolulu.... not the paradise you picture in your mind when you have never been there. And not the same thing I remembered from all the Elvis movies I used to love when I was a kid. The first thing we saw was an interesting homeless man who I believe had never cut his toenails his whole life. Ashley turned to me and said "mom, look at that guy's toenails". I looked and couldn't believe it. "Mom, take a picture". So I did. I acted like I was taking a picture of Ashley and snapped a photo of an unbelieveable sight. The picture is awesome but I don't know if anyone really would like to see it. Let me know and I will add it later. When we were getting in our car I heard a man tell another guy to go away because he had to pee. He went into a little corner of a building and relieved himself right there. When he was done he came out and was talking to a young couple who looked like they were college students. They all looked around and this guy pulled up his sleeve and knelt down behind a cement planter and the young guy who I thought looked like a nice kid proceeded to shot him up with drugs... the girl stood in front of them to hide what was going on but they didn't care about us who were right there watching the whole thing. We just wanted to get out of there. Glad to be back in Laie and away from all that madness.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's insane! Definitely not the Hawaii in my mind. I will remember to never go to Ross in Honolulu!!

Mindy said...

oh my. That is kind of disturbing. I wasn't too impressed with that city when I went there for the first time either.