One of my worst fears ever! I have always been afraid of this calling. It calls for someone who is a lot braver than I am. When the bishop asked me if I thought I could accept I just sat there and didn't know what to say. It is the first time that I didn't accept right away and I had to go home and think about it for a few days. I ended up at the temple one morning where I was hoping for a "stuper of thought" (
Doctrine and Covenants 9:9) but instead the opposite happened. I knew that this was right and that I would have to accept. Later that day I sent a text to the bishop that just said "yes". So here I am a week into it. My first day on the job of coarse there was a funeral and the next day I was visiting a sister in the hospital. It's hard to explain the feeling after being set apart when the sense of responsibility was all of a sudden on my shoulders. It's not a bad feeling like I thought it would be. I made the mistake about a month ago when I was feeling out of sorts. For a long time I have had this feeling of being disconnected and even though I am trying to have the spirit in my life with scripture reading and prayer and serving in my callings, I just couldn't feel anything. So the mistake I made, and I knew it when I did it, was asking Heavenly Father to give me a challenge or something to help me get back that feeling that I had been missing for so long. I even thought when I did it that it might be something that would be hard and scary. So here I am, Relief Society President. I know it will be a challenge but I also know that it will be a blessing. I am the type of person who likes sitting quiet in the back of the room. I have never liked being in charge. I feel like Moses or Enoch when they told the Lord, ....why me, I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue, wherefore am I thy servant?.... I don't have a way with words. When I bear my testimony I have all these thoughts that I want to share and then when I get up there the fear comes over me and I don't say half the things that were in my heart and when I sit down I think... why didn't I say that the way I wanted to. I made a deal with the Lord that I would do this if he was there to help me. I totally accepted on faith. I know that it will push me way out of my comfort zone to do things that are beyond what I think I can do. I know that my Heavenly Father knows me and my weaknesses. (
Ether 12:27) I also know that he will be there to help me. So here we go, on to a new chapter in my life. I will do the best I can. And I have to say.... I can already feel that feeling coming back.
http://lds.org/service/serving-in-the-church/relief-society?lang=eng
7 comments:
Kim, I was so touched by your thoughts. Sometimes callings magnify US! I look up to you and your willingness to serve. You have more faith than I do!! May the Lord bless you in this special stewardship.
wow! You will be wonderful. I loved reading your thoughts. Loved. You're awesome! best wishes in the coming few years as you magnify this huge calling!
Mom, I think you underestimate yourself. You are going to be awesome. I know it.
I've never been prouder of you You will do a great job it's when we doubt our abilities that the Lord is there to strengthen us and show us who really is in charge be humble and relay on him to support you and prove him here with. that through him you can do all things
Love you Mom
I agree with Mindy! You did write that beautifully and you are wonderful and talented and the sisters in the UH ward will benefit from having you!! Love you :)
You can do it Kim. I have total faith in you. YOu will love this calling like no other. You have MY coveted calling. But I don't have time for it. You do. I am so proud of you. xoxoxox
Your going to do a great job! Good luck~love you!
Post a Comment