Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Helms Bakery Truck

Things were so different when I was  kid.  I remember milk being delivered to our door in glass bottles.  I also remember those bottles being dropped and breaking.  We used to have Sparkletts water delivered in glass bottles too.  I can't imagine what that delivery guy went through to deliver all those bottles every day.  One of my favorite memories is of the Helms Bakery Truck coming up our street.  I remember us kids running out there and looking at all the yummy things in those LONG drawers that they would pull out.  Doughnuts, cookies, cakes, bread and candy.  One thing I do remember getting a lot was a candy necklace since at the time they probably only cost a penny or maybe a nickel.  This was at our annual Highgrove Days.  The owner of this truck was sitting there and I said that I remembered Helms Bakery coming by my house and going out and looking at all the yummy things in the drawers so he had to give us a doughnut.... not on my list of approved food right now but hey, it was the Helms Bakery truck.  I mentioned the candy necklaces and he said that he had planned to get some so that he could give them to people who remembered that but he didn't have a chance.  Darn. that would have been a fun picture.  It brought back a vivid feeling of my childhood and a time long lost.


1 comment:

Mindy said...

Hey Skinny Mama! I sure wish somebody would deliver milk to my doorstep!! And that a truck with freshly baked pastries would drive right up to the front of my house. That sounds like something out of a dream right about now! :)