Monday, October 17, 2011

New York City


Early in September I was able to take a trip with Ashley to New York City.  David had some work out there and she really wanted to go but didn't want to be left alone while he was working so she begged me to beg Craig to let me go.  Craig and I were both going to go but at the last minute he decided that it was not a good idea for him to miss that much work and to spend that much money.  Flights were not cheap so he let me go alone.  Ashley went out a week before me and was back there during hurricane Irene.  David was actually working on the beach where it came in just hours after he left.  Well you may be wondering why I posted these pictures of Evie.  I had a connection in Salt Lake and fortunately/unfortunately I missed it.  My flight out of Ontario left late and I only had an hour block of time to catch my connection so while I was waiting for my flight in Ontario I had the Delta lady make other arrangements for me.

 
I decided that if I was going to spend a day stranded somewhere I wanted it to be SLC where I could spend some time with Mindy and the kids.  Luckly for me she was available and we spent the day doing some errands and just visiting at home.  Evie was being very dramatic here.  She was forcing these tears.  I don't remember what the problem was but most likey it was because her mother wasn't close enough to her.

Another good thing about this layover was that after I flew back to Las Vegas I was able to take a red eye straight to NY and they put me in first class.  That was a nice benefit.  Too bad I slept through most of it.  They would have fed me snacks and drinks the whole way there if I had wanted it.  I watched a movie and had a few snacks and the decided to try and sleep.  I was amazed a the guy next to me.  He got on the plane and was asleep before we took off.  He slept the whole way there except for the one time I had to ask him to let me out to use the restroom.





This was on our way out to see the Statue of Liberty.  I have always wanted to do this since I was 10 years old when my family took a trip back east.  My grandfather was nervous about driving into the city so we bypassed NYC.  I really wanted to see all the sights there but didn't get to so I have always felt a little bitter about it.  Glad that I finally got to see it up close..



 After the Statue of Liberty we went over to Ellis Island.  We walked around in there and saw all the memorabilia from all the emigrants.
 We walked around the city near the "Ground Zero". It was strange to think about all that happened there 10 years ago.  We were there the week before the anniversary so we didn't get to walk around the fountain and the memorial but I took these pictures of the new tower that is going up there.
















 "Times Square" wasn't what I thought it was.  I guess I was always used to seeing in on TV from a wide angle camera.  It wasn't as big as I thought it would be but still impressive.

I was able to experience NY Pizza.  This slice actually lasted me for two meals.  This wasn't my favorite either.  We went to a little place called "Famiglias" that I really liked.



Central Park was pretty impressive also.  Had to take a picture with good ol' Moore, whoever that is.


 One day we did a session in the Manhatten Temple.  We also went to Sacrament Meeting there on Sunday morning.
Grand Central Station was on my list.


And of coarse the Empire State Building was next.  Had to do that.  It was a long wait in some major lines and HOT but I am glad that we did that.  It was dusk when we finally made it to the 88th floor.  SO many people.  Not like they portrayed it in "Sleepless in Seattle", all spacious and room to walk around.  We had to wait our turn to get close enough to the edge to take some pictures.  


Glad we made it.  Ashley was really tired and having some low pelvic pain from being 7 months pregnant.  I think that was our hardest day because we did a ton of walking and the standing in line made it even worse.
 We took the train to Long Beach one day to visit where David was working with the "Quiksilver Pro New York" surf competition.  He got us a nice place to hang out.



This building isn't supposed to be here.  It got washed away during the hurricane.

 Brooklyn bridge was one of the last things on my list and almost didn't do it but Ashley insisted that I do it so she sacrificed and we made the long walk out to the middle.
We had to go eat at the Seinfeld restaurant.  It's not the same inside as in the show but this is the place they use just on the outside.  It was just a few blocks away from where we were staying.
We did a lot of subway travel.  Ashley and I were nervous about navigating it by ourselves but David taught us how it works and we managed on our own.
 Near "Times Square"


1 comment:

Megan said...

Info on your Central Park Moore. :)
http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/centralpark/highlights/12799